Monday, July 11, 2011

Pet Peeve

I know what you're thinking - "Chris, you have a pet peeve?"  Why, yes I do...several of them actually.  I've been thinking about doing this post for a while now and I really wanted to share, but the examples I had were all real and could get me into trouble (I still have no idea who is actually reading this blog).  So instead, I decided to play it safe.  The example is made up, but the pet peeve is very, very real.

It really bothers me when people assume we all have the same level of knowledge and understanding of things:


At this point, I start to make some strange faces indicating my lack of comprehension (I imagine my reaction looking a lot like a family pet that's just been handed the phone).  This is when things can start to drastically go downhill:


Which of course usually gets some sort of smart ass response out of me:


So what do people do when they didn't get their point across the first time?  They try again:


And then to make extra sure they were successful on the second attempt, I usually get a face full of condescending contempt:


Um...really?  At this point, the ignorance has made me tired and any patience I had in my reserve tanks have now been depleted:


And it's now time to share how I really feel:


So there you have it.   I have shared with all of you one of my pet peeves that can drive me crazy.  I shouldn't fault everyone for this, but there are some who should just know better.

Anyone else out there get irritated by this?  If so, please share.  If you are guilty of doing this, please stop.  You're not proving anything...

-Cheers!

3 comments:

  1. funny and so familiar! I think this is too common of a practice in many, perhaps, large corporate environments ;-) Thanks Chris!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wait, is this why you never laugh at my jokes?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Uh, Chris, that's not quite how I remember our conversation going when I explained a Markov Chain as we were picking a band name a few years back. Although I do recall beer being involved, so that may explain some of the louder and slower talking.

    ReplyDelete