Saturday, July 30, 2011

They see me rollin...

I recently took the kids on a road trip to White Lake, South Dakota for a family reunion.  For those of you not familiar with White Lake, it's about a 5-6 hour drive from where we live.  So of course, traveling with three kids can be a challenge if you can't keep them occupied.  Yes, they had their books and toys and games and movies, but sometimes that wasn't enough.

So we started to play some of those ever popular "road trip games" to help pass the time:


Now Ash is a very creative little boy.  When we play games such as "I Spy", he's not really seeing something that belongs in the real world.  He is usually using his imagination and coming up with something else.  For example, we were once playing "Find Shapes in the Ceiling Dots" one time and he "showed" me a pineapple with a worm sticking out eating a popsicle.   Now we both knew there was no such shape in any of those dots in the ceiling, but for a three year old, that's the extent of these types of games. 

So, back to the game during our trip, I thought I would outsmart Ash and make up something I thought he would see:


Lesson #1:  You cannot outsmart a three year old:


Lesson #2:  Snaggerdoodles are blue...apparently.

After a while of driving, the dreaded "are we there yet?" started to insert itself into the games, activities, and conversations.  Ayris, being the ringleader as always, is the instigator of this continuous question. 

When not satisfied with my answers, she continued to push the matter even further:


Wait for it...


Ladies and gentlemen, Ayris has discovered sarcasm! 

As we got closer to our destination (and further into South Dakota), Ayris decided to create a new game:


As a supportive father, I decided to play along...with some good old-fashioned trash talking:


I wasn't about to let this go unchallenged:


Yeah, how do you like me now?


Then it was Ayris' turn for rebuttal:


Lesson #3:  You cannot outsmart a five year old either...

Overall it was  a good trip.  Both Ayris and Ash managed to outsmart me yet again while Adler simply enjoyed spraying water and milk from his bottle all over the windows.  There were a lot of great moments for all of us during the reunion weekend and many more funny situations that should be shared.

But those will need to be stories for another time...

-Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment