Tuesday, December 21, 2010

DUDE!

You know when someone does something so asinine or says the wrong thing at the wrong time that you just can't believe your existence has led you to that moment?  When you just want to say "SERIOUSLY, WHAT THE HELL?!"  In the 60's those people would have been called a "dip stick", in the 70's they were a "spaz", in the 80's an "airhead", 90's "fart knocker" (thanks to Beavis and Butthead!).  At the turn of the century it was just "WTF?" and now as we enter a new decade it seems to be a simple "DUDE!".

I remember the first time I was "DUDE-ed" by M.  We were missing a pair of clippers from the bathroom and she was convinced I had misplaced them somewhere.  Course, I knew it was all her wrongful doing so we basically spent weeks blaming each other for losing them.  One day, M nonchalantly lets me know that she found the clippers...right where I had left them.  Um, what?  Where I had left them?  Really?  And where was that exactly?  Apparently it was in one of my bags(?!).  I'm still not sure how it became my bag.  Inside was nail polish, emery boards, buffers, cuticle trimmers, and sure enough - our missing clippers.  Long story short, I asked M about 5 times whose bag it was.  She insisted each time that it was mine.  Okay, well seeing that I have no use for anything in the bag, I threw it in the trash.  And that's when I got hit with it..."DUDE! What the hell?"

That's right, boys and girls, my wife just "DUDE-ed" me...in our own home even...in front of the children!  Actually, I found it rather funny to hear something like that come out of M.  It's not that I didn't think she had it in her, it was just the perfect reaction to me acting like such a fart knocker.  Ever since then, we have become a family of "DUDE-ers".  We say it to each other all the time now. 


At the dinner table:



To enforce important life lessons:



When discussing the finer points of the English language:



Even little Adler has started in on the fun:



And of course, M still scolds me with it:


Such changes in our basic speech.  I can't help but wonder what is evolving faster:  technology or the English language.  Anyway, it is what it is.  The more you try to fight it, the more...uh, something...I forgot how the rest goes.

DUDE!  I mean, Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment